(meteorobs) AMS Video Observations September 1, 2005

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Sep 13 14:32:09 EDT 2005

While viewing on the morning of September 1, I also had the AMS video camera
running for 3.42 hours. After viewing the tapes I counted a total of 101
meteors for an average of  29.5 meteors per hour. 63 of these were sporadic.
I was surprised to see that 21 slow, mostly faint meteors seem to come from
the area of the Antihelion radiant. That leaves 17 meteors being members of
the Alpha Aurigid shower. Many of the sporadic meteors seem to radiate from
either southern Perseus or Taurus. These could be members of the northern
apex radiant. The overall percentage was 62% SPO,  21% ANT, and 17% AUR. My
visual percentages for the same morning were: 88% SPO,  2% ANT, and 10% AUR.

The AMS video camera uses an Abex intensifier combined with a Nikon 1.4/50mm
lens which yields an approximate 60 degree field of view and a limiting
magnitude of +7.0 under pristine skies.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford