(meteorobs) radio obs and doppler effect

Ed Totman etotman at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 23:41:20 EDT 2005

Hello.  This is my first post to the group.  I've been listening to TV
channel 2 and 3 meteor echos for several months now.  Most recently I
purchased an SDR-14 (http://rfspace.com/), which allows me to see and
hear echoes both above and below the carrier at the same time.  I've
heard hundreds of meteor pings, most very brief, some long, but never
have I heard a meteor echo with a doppler effect.  I've tried USB,
LSB, and CW, but the burst is always monotone, unlike the doppler
recordings available on the net, such as this:
http://spacescience.com/audio/leonidsample.wav

Are reflections that include a doppler effect very rare?  If not, I
must be doing something wrong...

Thanks,

Ed