(meteorobs) OT Spectacular Mammatus Clouds

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 14:23:59 EDT 2005

My uncle referred me to this site. I've never seen  clouds like this and must
indeed be rare. Go to the below website...it's worth  the look.
George Zay

>> The clouds are called  Mammatus clouds and there's a link on this URL that
 tells about them. They do not precede a  tornado, or fortell a storm, but
are formed when the air is already saturated  with rain droplets and/or ice
crystals and begins to sink.  The worst of  the storm is usually over when these
kind of clouds are seen.  They are  quite rare, but really beautiful. <<

_http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june2004hastings-mammatus.html_
(http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june2004hastings-mammatus.html)