(meteorobs) Fireball seen in Ovid, NY on evening of September 29

Pambianchi, Michael S PambiancMS at Corning.com
Fri Sep 30 17:18:23 EDT 2005

I saw a fireball going very fast from south to North yesterday evening
around 7:15 - 7:20 pm EDT from my home on the shore of Cayuga Lake in
Ovid, NY.  It appeared like a firework - embers that went quickly and
brightly across the sky and then went out.  I thought it was fireworks
being shot from somewhere nearby, except I heard no sounds and the
embers went quite far across the sky.

What made me report it today was the fact that a meteor was seen around
7:00 by many motorists in Florida - enough to stop traffic - see
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/breaking_news/12777874.htm

I don't know if this was the same meteor, but maybe it was another
fragment - the thing was travelling pretty fast and originated from the
direction of Florida (although ~ 1000 miles north).

Anyone who sees this post - please feel free to reply.

Mike Pambianchi