(meteorobs) Post-peak Lyrid Observations; East Georgia April 23, 2006

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Sun Apr 23 12:51:52 EDT 2006

From: "Kim Youmans" <meteorsga at bellsouth.net>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:35 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Post-peak Lyrid Observations; East Georgia April 23,
2006

>     Thunderstorms prevented me from observing the Lyrids Saturday morning,
> but the skies cleared nicely last night and I was able to get in two hours
> under
> exceptionally clear skies, LM +6.5.  The Milky Way was stunningly bright,
> as was Juptier and a number of the meteors observed, in particular, a
> Lyrid fireball
> that flared near its terminal point to around -5, and a -1 SPO that was
> silvery-blue.
> The Lyrids put on a good display during the first hour, with 7 (and a
> potential eighth)
> seen.  Their numbers dropped to just three during the second hour.
>      During the first hour I was facing the Antihelion radiant during
> culmination and this
> may have helped account for the high number of ANTs seen, four during that
> period,
> though only one was seen during the second hour.  All told, an enjoyable
> night under
> the stars given the number of bright meteors seen and the nice rates
> during
> the first hour.

I too observed in the same night (some hours before) and I too saw
a Lyrid of -5-6a with a a trail during more of 15 seconds, and a
second of -2,5a orange-red, I not was observing meteors only
aid a friend to take astronomical photo.
Then I would ask: do the Lyrids have the temporal separation
by mass as the Quadrantids or the Geminids?
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli