(meteorobs) Beautiful fireball - space junk?

mexicodoug at aol.com mexicodoug at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 12:53:49 EDT 2006

Hola Marco and meteor observers, from Fort Davis, Texas, USA - the
Texas Star Party 2006.

On the 2006.04.25.16 UT here, in the low northeast sector of the sky,
starting in Virgo and ending in Hercules, a northerly trajectory
glowing intense malachite green and at the end of its incandescent path
broke up into at least 3 fragments.  The travel was about 5 degrees
downward from horzontal.  No sound heard except the big ooohhhs and
ahhhs that rippled acrosse the observing fields.  Magnitude was at
least as bright as -6.  During the 3 second approx. incandescent
display it traveled about forty degrees which appeared to be a moderate
speed.  I was looking at the comet 73P in that general direction and
the binoculars lit up like headlights shining into them at an angle, a
constellation or two away.  Others mentioned that shadows were cast
during the awesome event...

30 Degrees N. 36.552'
103 Degrees W. 57.031'
aprox. 1535 meters elevation