(meteorobs) Observation April 25/26 2006

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 27 22:43:26 EDT 2006

Hello,

Here's a short meteor report from Tuesday evening.  Shane Finnigan
and I were on the road south of Ottawa near Spencerville.  We stopped
along a quiet road to do some observing.  The skies were impressive
for a site relatively close to Ottawa.  By keeping the light dome
from Ottawa due north, it was easy to forget about it and get the
impression of being located at a much more remote site.  The limiting
magnitude was 6.5 under a good transparent sky.  For about one hour
teff, meteor activity was fairly low.  A few faint Virginids and
sporadics but nothing impressive.  The skies were beautiful though.
I also enjoyed Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 through Shane's 120mm ED
refractor.  The brightest component was also an easy sight through my
9x63mm binos including the tail.  It was a short but enjoyable night
to be out, but near the end, the dropping freezing temperature and
rising humidity took me by surprise.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: April 25/26 2006
BEGIN: 0332 UT (2332 EDT)  END: 0440 UT (0040 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75 38' West; Lat: 44 54' North  Elevation: 300 ft
City & Province: Spencerville, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting & cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:________________________________________radiant
position
             LYR (Lyrids)_____________________________18:08 +34
             VIR - ECL (Virginids - Eclipticids)______15:00 -17
             SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_FIELD____Teff__LM_____SPO_VIR_LYR

0332-0440__1425+09__0.93__6.48____3___3___0

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked
eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+3__+4__+5______AVE

VIR____1___1___1_____+4.00
SPO____0___2___1_____+4.33

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

F = 1.00

Dead time: 10.75 min (breaks) + 1.33 min (plots) = 12.07 min

Breaks (UT): 3:59-4:09, 4:39(45sec)