(meteorobs) Beautiful fireball - space junk?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 12:09:55 EDT 2006

>>On the 2006.04.25.16 UT here, in the low northeast sector  of  the sky,
starting in Virgo and ending in Hercules, a northerly  trajectory
glowing intense malachite green and at the end of its  incandescent path
broke up into at least 3  fragments. <<
Ah dang it! I just noted one more thing in your description that indicates  a
meteor rather than re-entering space junk...the color. From what I've heard
from those who have actually seen space junk re-entering...space junk tends to
 look yellowish/orange predominantly. An intense green is more likely to be
produced by a meteor. I'm not sure why...I'm guessing the entering velocity
might have something to do with it? Space junk is usually in earth orbit and
thus at a slower velocity when it re-enters, than say a meteoroid entering the
atmosphere.
George Zay