(meteorobs) Judging bolide brightness

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Fri Apr 28 17:38:41 EDT 2006

Hi Doug,

Since the Moon is an extended source, it's often difficult to compare
the brightness of a bright bolide to it since the bolide is typically
more point-like.  Unfortunately, beyond magnitude -4.5 there isn't
anything "stellar" with which to compare -- at least not of the
natural variety.

But what about Iridium flares?  I've found these to be useful for
comparison purposes when judging bolide brightness against ones memory.
Iridium glints occasionally exceed magnitude -8, and can reach -9 for
those in the lower-altitude spare orbit.

--Rob