(meteorobs) Very bright fireball over central Texas

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:52:35 EDT 2006

Last night at about 11:05:09 PM (CDT, 04:05:09 August 2 UTC)
there was a very bright fireball north of Austin.  People
called TV stations, etc.  Here is a link to one local TV
station report that's online right now:

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5230270

Local astronomy club members who were closer to it than I
estimated it to be brighter than the Moon, maybe brighter
than the full Moon, and one who saw it from Lake Buchanan
with a group of guests at a star party, 50 to 60 air miles
northwest of me, suggested that it would have been visible
in daylight.

Now I have to mention an embarrassing correction.  In my
fireball report to the AMS, I reported the wrong time!  In
my tiredness and/or excitement I misread my stopwatch and
reported 04:09:20 UTC.  (My stopwatch actually read
04:05:09.21, and this morning I managed to drop the ":05"
part of it.  "D'oh!")

Anyway, it was a show-stopper, and I actually felt a bit
of an adrenaline rush when I saw it.

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA