(meteorobs) Update on July 21 Bolide meteors over Far West Texas

Thomas Dorman drygulch_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 08:16:31 EDT 2006

Hi.All
As I was posting out a message to Ed Cannon on his
meteor,Jim Gamble El Paso all sky camera sent me the
data and video on the July 21 bolide events.We had a
bolide meteor early on the morning of July 21
also.This event reach a peak magnitude of -10.7.I did
not see this one.Then he sent me the event that I saw
while I was trying to shoot a pass of the Hubble space
telescope near Jupiter.We do not have a final peak
magnitude for the evening event but it looks like it
will most likely reach around the -13th or -14th
magnitude.This event as I saw it looked to have
dropped a shower of fragments after the very bright
terminal burst.
Since Texas seems to be getting more bright fireball
it would be nice if the rain would leave our area out
here in the southwestern desert.El Paso has been
flooding the last couple of days washing away homes
cars and roads.I hope the group will keeps good
thoughts in mind for Jim Gamble as he battles a
leaking roof.This morning we had another round of rain
and we have more people having to leave their homes to
head for higher ground.Me,I am OK for I live up on a
high area so getting washed away down the Rio Grande
is not a danger but for our friends in Northern Mexico
just across the border they are not as lucky.
Wet Regards
Thomas Dorman
Horizon City,Texas