(meteorobs) Observation August 5/6 2006

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 11 01:05:24 EDT 2006

Another enjoyable late night spent meteor observing.  Skies were
quite transparent and dark (close to mag 6.7) after the moonset.
There were some brighter meteors than the previous night including a
mag -3 yellow-white Kappa Cygnid.  The Perseids activity was
increasing.  Sporadics were very active in the second hour!

Hoping for clear skies on the Perseids peak nights!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 5/6 2006
BEGIN: 0535 UT (0135 EDT)  END: 0735 UT (0335 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.50 West; Lat: 46.00 North  Elevation: 300 ft
City & Province: Otter Lake, Quebec, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting & cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:________________________________________radiant
position
		KCG (Kappa Cygnids)____________________18:52 +58
		CAP (Alpha Capricornids)_______________20:56 -08
             	ANT (Antihelions)______________________21:44 -12
		SDA (South Delta Aquarids)_____________23:04 -14
		PAU (Pisces Austrinids)________________23:16 -27
		PER (Perseids)_________________________02:32 +56
		SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_FIELD____Teff__LM_____SPO_PER_KCG_CAP_ANT_SDA_PAU

0535-0635__0057+38__1.00__6.48____8___8___0___0___1___3___0
0635-0735__0151+34__1.00__6.65___16__11___2___0___0___1___0

TOTALS:_____________2.00_________24__19___2___0___1___4___0  = 50

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked
eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______-3__-2__-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5__+6______AVE

SPO____0___0___0___0___1___5___3___6___7___2_____+3.79
PER____0___0___0___1___3___5___6___1___2___1_____+2.68
SDA____0___0___0___0___0___2___1___0___1___0_____+3.00
KCG____1___0___0___1___0___0___0___0___0___0_____-1.50
ANT____0___0___0___0___0___1___0___0___0___0_____+2.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

F = 1.00

Dead time: None

Breaks (UT): None