(meteorobs) Meteor watch July 28-29 (VANMC)

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:55:22 EDT 2006

Hi Karl,

Karl; your country is great for meteor observing ;-) (and lots of other stuff  to...) ; why aren't there more French meteor observers??

During this period I am only busy with visual counts using a tape recorder. Activity during the last days of July is much to high for plotting; so your eyes should recover after each meteor you saw when you are plotting the meteors into star charts. You will lose a lot of meteors, mostly weak sporadics from the +4 and +5 class.

In previous years plotting was sometimes necessarily to separate the several meteors from the Aquarid complex for shower classification ; but with the  arrival of the official ANT classification I find this a big progress.

When I observed 44 meteors in one hour; skies were great (almost LM 7), dawn was approaching and I was very alert that night...I also think that I am still making some progress in observing meteors...it is a bit like sport; you should exercise a lot and you will become better and better...

Long, dark and clear nights,

Michel

Hi Michel ! Hi all !

> During the last interval I counted at least 44 sporadics!

Wouooooohhh... Quite impressive...
And my question is : do you plot all your meteors ? or just count them ?
Because i remember of session where as soon as i put my pencil down, a new meteor
appear... A way of making 1h Teff in 5h session ;-))
So how do you proceed ?

Thanks in advance for the answer !
Clear skies !
Karl