(meteorobs) Perseids

Arlene Carol arlene.carol at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 05:37:06 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone;

this isn't too 'scientific' (i'm intimidated by all of you with a lot more
skill at this than i possess) but i wanted to feed in our observations.
since coming to this part of the world, i've been 'influencing' the local
shephards and they too are now gazing skywards more often and reporting back
to me. since they spend most of the night outside, they see more on a
regular basis than i do...

anyway...last night we went out at 9PM local time and observed until the
moon rose above the distant mountains (just after 10PM). i saw 5 meteors,
three of which were Perseids, the others sporatics.

i saw two 'flashes' of light that were either 'head on' meteors or
satellites...hard to tell since the moon was rising...they only briefly lite
up in the night sky. i would have thought that a bollide would be much
brighter...i guess i'll know when i see one, right?

skies are excellent this time of year here in Western Turkey. i'm far from
'city' lights so we have great viewing opportunities.

Take care and stay safe all of you.

Arlene & Co.
south of Troy