(meteorobs) "The 2007 September 1 Aurigid Meteor Storm"!?

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 11:37:25 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/11/06 9:09:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de writes:

<< On August 18 from 16:00 to 16:05 Peter Jenniskens will make an
announcement at the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union in Prague
about an
"Aurigid Meteor Storm, 1 September 2007" (in an earlier Version of the
website -
http://www.astronomy2006.com/special-sessions-hot-topics.php - it actually
said
"The 2007 September 1 Aurigid Meteor Storm", as if it were an absolute fact).
Has anyone heard about such a prediction? If you google for "Aurigid Meteor
Storm"
you get exactly one hit: the website mentioned above ... >>

Daniel (and everyone else) --

    In their 2002 Icarus paper, "Meteor Outbursts from Long Period Comet Dust
Trails," Esko Lyytinen and Peter Jenniskens cite the Theta Aurigid shower,
which peaks on September 1.  The meteors with this display are apparently
associated with Comet Kiess (C/1911 N1) which has a period of roughly 2,000-years.
Outbursts of this shower were reported in 1935, 1986 and 1994.

In this paper, there is this comment:

"The next Theta Aurigid outburst is due in 2007, and is expected to be a
spectacularly rich shower of  bright +0 to +2 magnitude meteors. (Jenniskens,
1997)."

    Unfortunately, in the accompanying Table I, which provides a working list
of far-comet type outbursts, the specific information regarding the Theta
Aurigids is hidden (at least in the on-line .pdf version), because it falls too
close to the break between pages.  One cannot deduce, for example, the miss
distance of the associated comet stream from the Earth's orbit or the solar
longitude value of the predicted peak.   :(

    To me, a meteor "outburst" is a sudden surge -- usually short-lived
period -- of enhanced meteor activity.  A rapid rise from virtually nothing, to a
ZHR of, say, a few hundred or more can qualify as an "outburst."

A meteor "storm," however, implies (to me) a ZHR of at least 1,000 or more.

    It is interesting to me, that this 2007 Aurigid display was originally
promoted as an "outburst" in the Icarus paper . . . and now apparently will be
upgraded to potential "storm" status in Dr. Jenniskens announcement at the IAU
Conference in Prague in just a few days.  I'm sure we all are anxiously
awaiting his conclusions.

    But not to throw cold water on this . . . I think it is only fair to
point out that on September 1, 2007, the Moon will be residing in the neighboring
constellation of Aries and will be only four days past Full phase.  In fact .
. . just before 10 p.m. local daylight time that evening, as Capella is rising
in the NNE, the Moon will also be rearing its head above the ENE horizon.
Anyone who might wonder what effect such a Moon might have on observing a meteor
display with potentially bright shower members need only step outside tonight
to watch for the predicted Perseid peak; for tonight's lunar phase will be
approximately the same as it will be on September 1 of next year!

-- joe rao