(meteorobs) Perseid obs, Sharon Massachusetts, Aug 13, 2006.

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Sun Aug 13 11:55:58 EDT 2006

As I was setting up to go on the clock, I was treated to a brilliant
appetizer, a -3 medium speed, emerald green streak rising up from
south to north. It was likely an ANT, but a thin cloud bank and the
glaring moon made it impossible to attribute a radiant.  Buoyed by
the adrenaline rush from that green spark, I settled alertly into my
portable lounge chair, shaded from the worst of the moonlight by the
branches of a convenient tree and "logged on". The coolest weather in
several months kept the fireflies and mosquitos grounded, but did not
discourage the crickets from rehearsing for their late summer crescendo.

The level of activity was very satisfying for the first 20 minutes,
but dropped disappointingly to near zero (one short, unimpressive
SPO) for the balance of the session.

---------
Richard Kramer Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

EST 00:25 13 Aug to 01:33 13 Aug
UTC 04:25 13 Aug to 05:33 13 Aug

Shower observed Perseids  PER

UTC              Teff   LM     PER    SPO    Total
04:25 - 05:33    1.10   3.5     4      2       6

Magnitude Distributions
          -3  -2  -1   0   1   2   3
PER       1   1   0   0   1   1   0
SPO       0   0   0   0   0   2   0

Notes:
1. Facing north, center of view the tail of Cygnus.
2. Obscuration 15% due to foliage.
3. Colors consistently yellow for Perseids.
4. 0.5 sec train for mag -2 and 2 sec train for mag -3 Perseids.
5. Starting temperature 59 F, wind N 5 mph.
6. Ending temperature 54 F.
7. Note to self: next time wear gloves!