(meteorobs) Meteor Magnitude Estimation - Useful Data for Less Than PerfectSkies?

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Tue Aug 15 18:25:28 EDT 2006

From: "Bill Godley" <wwgj180 at yahoo.com>
To: <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:08 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Meteor Magnitude Estimation - Useful Data for Less Than
PerfectSkies?

>I am not a statistician.
>
> That said, I have been trying to determine if my
> perception of meteor magnitudes is reasonably
> consistent with those of seasoned meteor observers.
> To do so, I have used the International Meteor
> Organization (IMO) 2004 and 2005 meteor data to
> determine the following:
>
> IMO Meteor Data for LM Between 4.5 and 5.5
> Count: 9,742
> Mean Magnitude: 1.7
> Median Magnitude: 2
> Negative Magnitude (less than 0): 9.9%
> Fireballs (equal to or less than -3): 1.9%
>
> I thought this info might interest others who observe
> under similar conditions and want to see how they
> compare.
>
> My numbers ended up: 415, 1.9, 2, 7.5% and 1.4%.  I
> know it is a rather small data set but it seems that
> my numbers aren't out of whack with the experts.
>
> Hooray for space dirt!

Sorry, your document not to work!
The perception change for each person from day and day,
from the hight on the sea level, if you are hill, if you have
worked many before to observe, etc. You have
I think, utilised meteors from different showers with
different medium magnitudes, etc. Your personal
perception of a specific night can to be calculed by
IMO by the medium of all observations of all observers
that obsersed in a particular night, and with many of this
personal perceptions you can see if your perpection
it's stationany or changing in better o in bad, along
the years you shall can see, unfortunously, a degrading
of your perception.
I wrote quickly this post, then it can possible I wrote
too some mistakes in it.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli