(meteorobs) Meteor watch July 28-29 (VANMC)

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 16 03:46:40 EDT 2006

Hi Michel ! Hi all !

> Karl; your country is great for meteor observing ;-)

Obviously not all the country is good for observing !
Just try to make a meteor watch close to Paris ;-))
But that's right it's quite easy just to take your car and find a quite good place to observe, even if observing in lm 7.0 skies isn't an every day experience, even here, in France ;-)) You observed under quite exceptionnal skies ! But in three weeks, I'll be moving in the Alpes de Haute Provence, too ! So, you should all be soon
receiving reports with 7.0 lm ;-))

> why aren't there more French meteor observers??

I don't really know...
At first, we thought it was due to French people reluctancies to speak and read in English, and that's why we began by translating the IMO meteor calendar. But it didn't change things much. So we're slowly implementing a French Meteor Observing Organisation, but it takes time, and it's not always so easy, but it's slowly taking
form, I think... From september 2006 on, we'll have a Meteor Observing article every month in a French astronomy magazine, for example. But that's just a beginning.
I just hope now, that we'll also slowly see more and more French reports coming on meteorobs and sent to the IMO !
Will see what the future will give...

Thank you for your answer !
But just one more question : is the loss of information for the Aquarid complex important or not for the study of the complex characteristics and statistics, or not ?

All the best and clear crustal skies to all !
Karl