(meteorobs) Correction re: my Perseids report

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Aug 21 19:14:46 EDT 2006

   Thanks to Meteor Wayne and Nikola for your comments. Wayne wrote:

> As with anything else in meteor observing, you must record the LM you see,
> and the meteors you see, not the ones you hear other people see. If you
> start fudging things, it will only decrease the value of your data.
> That's my opinion, anyway.

   And in general I agree with it.

> Why did you find his estimate more satisfying than yours? Perhaps if we
> can understand why you think so, we can get to the root of the problem.
> You should actually be including the star count areas and readings with
> your observations.

   That was indeed the root of my problem on Aug. 13: I wasn't systematic. I
did not do a proper star count, I did an old-fashioned limiting magnitude
estimate based on the visibility of stars around the Little Dipper at the very
beginning of my session, probably a little before I was fully dark-adapted.
When I transcribed my tape later I realized I had never followed up with a
subsequent LM estimate which I usually do at least hourly. As mentioned I was
rushing to the site from the folk festival and wasn't really on top of my form.
I was more focused on observing and counting than I was on methodology. The
counts are accurate, and all mine, but my own LM was flawed.

   Alister and I have observed together during a number of showers and our LM
estimates are always quite similar, mine might be a tenth or so deeper than
his, and I typically seem to get a few percent more meteors as well. So I will
stick with my counts and the corrected LM, and if these data are judged to be
suspect by those who collect observations, well, throw them out.

> I know it's tough, I know when I started out it was a challenge to learn
> how to record all the data accurately. I don't know how much experience
> you have, but like everything else in life, it's a learning process!! :-)

   I have lots of experience but on this occasion I was a little too casual.
Some lessons need to be learned more than once. :(

   And no, Nikola, I'm not discouraged, just a little embarrassed.

   Bruce
   *****