(meteorobs) need an answer quickly

Arlene Carol arlene.carol at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 04:56:16 EDT 2006

Hi, some of you folks might still be awake out there in meteor observing
land...if so, i need a quick answer to this question...

I think I told you a few days ago about a young shepherd in a village not
too far away that is an avid astronomer...which is quite a feat since he's
only had an elementary school education. Well, his brother is here at the
house now visiting and after hearing about the telescope that this kid (kid?
he's in his early 20s) made with a water pipe, coke bottle bottom and eye
glasses...i was wondering if we might be able to do better.

i have an old professional Minolta camera with about 5 extra lenses...one is
a telephoto lens...  f=135mm..

if i 'donated' it to this young man...can he improve on his sky gazing or it
is a foolish thing to give away (i mean, i have no use for it..the camera is
broken and cannot be repaired apparently so the lenses are superfluous ...

should i or shouldn't i? will he be able to fashion a better telescope with
the lenses??

it's noon here now. they will be staying about two more hours...

hope to hear from you quickly..

thanks

arlene
south of Troy