(meteorobs) need an answer quickly

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Thu Aug 24 05:44:34 EDT 2006

		Hi Arlene,

   Without knowing what he's got there, I'd venture to say the best you're going to get is the magnificiation on the telephoto lens.  Taking it apart probably isn't going to do much more for you, because the size of the objective lens (the "big" lens on the end) determines the amount of light that enters the scope, and henceforth how much "useful" magnification you can get.

   I wonder if he'd be enterprising enough to build his own reflector scope...?  If he's really done so well with a coke bottle bottom (did he grind it into a lens?  I can't imagine most soda bottle ends bearing any resemblance to usable optics), he might be able to get his hands on a bigger piece of glass and grind it into a mirror (assuming he can get some kind of coating for it, which may be a ridiculous assumption).  Then maybe he could position the eyeglass lens as a much more effective eyepiece and get a really nice view...

   Bear in mind that my mirrors and eyepieces are store-bought, so I don't have any first-hand experience with creating the optics from scratch, but perhaps a bit of googling (or advice from the good folks here) would get you further along.

For what it's worth...

Peter

				From: "Arlene Carol" arlene.carol at gmail.com

Hi, some of you folks might still be awake out there in meteor observing
land...if so, i need a quick answer to this question...

I think I told you a few days ago about a young shepherd in a village not
too far away that is an avid astronomer...which is quite a feat since he's
only had an elementary school education. Well, his brother is here at the
house now visiting and after hearing about the telescope that this kid (kid?
he's in his early 20s) made with a water pipe, coke bottle bottom and eye
glasses...i was wondering if we might be able to do better.

i have an old professional Minolta camera with about 5 extra lenses...one is
a telephoto lens... f=135mm..

if i 'donated' it to this young man...can he improve on his sky gazing or it
is a foolish thing to give away (i mean, i have no use for it..the camera is
broken and cannot be repaired apparently so the lenses are superfluous ...

should i or shouldn't i? will he be able to fashion a better telescope with
the lenses??

it's noon here now. they will be staying about two more hours...

hope to hear from you quickly..

thanks

arlene
south of Troy