(meteorobs) August Nebula Newsletter On-line

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Aug 28 22:03:06 EDT 2006

   George Gliba wrote:

>      The latest issue of NEBULA is finally on-line after
> some website problems. There is a short article on  Light
> Pollution, and the Perseids at:
>
> http://gewa.gsfc.nasa.gov/clubs/astronomy/

   My compliments, George, on an excellent job writing a broadbrush yet concise
summary on the issue of light pollution, covering astronomy, nature, ecology,
health, and economics with a little history as well. The bright side (no pun
intended) is that LP is so unnecessary and dumb that its potential solutions
are a win-win-win-win-win scenario, with only the poor power companies on the
short end of the stick. The big issue is to raise awareness of both the problem
and its solutions among the public, government, and the corporate world.

   While it's definitely an uphill war, individual battles can be and are being
won. Here in north-central Alberta, I'm thrilled to report that this upcoming
Sunday the federal and provincial governments in partnership with the Royal
Astronomical Society of Canada, are declaring a new Dark Sky Preserve of some
300 sq. km. The area in question incorporates the Blackfoot Reserve, where
local astronomers have conducted our dark-sky observing sessions for the two
decades that I've been involved in the RASC's Edmonton Centre. Now our site is
formally protected in perpetuity, and we have established a beachhead from
which we can deliver our commonsense message to the surrounding communities.

   Sorry if I sound like a man on a mission -- I unabashedly am! -- and hope
this isn't considered off-topic, but surely this issue is absolutely central to
the interests of all meteor observers, to whom limiting magnitude is of such
critical importance.

   Bruce
   *****