(meteorobs) New Zealand meteor + sonic boom

Graham Palmer gramy at globe.net.nz
Tue Aug 29 01:21:24 EDT 2006

Hi all. A large meteor exploaded over the North Island of New Zealand
yesterday at 0939 UTC. It was seen widely and caused windows and doors to
rattle as it passed overhead. I don't know of any video of this event, but
will post it if comes available. I had been out observing the moon and Spica
until shortly before. I was working at the computer with the back door of
the house open, when there was what seemed like a sudden gust of wind that
shut the door. Windows rattled with the pressure wave of the sonic boom,
then I heard a sound similar to a jet passing quickly overhead at low level.
By the time I got outside, there was no visible evidence in the sky, but
reports say it was VERY bright and broke into at least three pieces before
fading.

Wow, what a ripper!

Graham Palmer.