(meteorobs) 2007 International Meteor Conference

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Mon Dec 4 00:13:07 EST 2006

Forwarded on behalf of Juergen Rendtel:

Dear Meteorobs members,

Normally, at the end of an International Meteor Conference (IMC)
the date and location of the next year's IMC is announced. In 2007
we have the peculiar situation that the "Meteoroids 2007" conference
is held in Barcelona in June. Combinations of an IMC with previous
"Meteoroids" conferences (e.g. in Smolenice and Stara Lesna) helped
to establish and improve good contacts between amateur and
professional meteor workers. Hence we discussed the possibility
to combine the IMC 2007 with the "Meteoroids 2007" during the
IMC in the Netherlands. A query yielded that approximately 2/3
of the IMC 2006 participants would attend an IMC in June 2007
if it allows to attend also the "Meteoroids 2007". Another query
via the imo news list gave essentially the same result. Of course,
it is hardly possible to find an optimal solution for all members.
Members of the IMO Council know that June is not the best month
for many people to travel. On the other hand, there may be also
people who never attended an IMC because they have problems to
travel in September. Furthermore, we had in mind that some
observers may plan to travel to observe the expected alpha-Aurigid
outburst on Sep 01 from North America - then perhaps interfering
with another travel to attend the IMC shortly after this event.

By choosing the period in June for the IMC 2007 we want to
emphasize the possibilities for interaction between the amateur
and professional communities. The IMO Council hopes that many
people from both "sides" use this opportunity to learn more
about running projects and recent results.

The IMC 2007 will take place in Bareges, north of the Pyrenees
close to the Pic du Midi observatory in the time 2007 June 7-10.
The "Meteoroids 2007" takes place in Barcelona in the period
2007 June 11-15. Information will be available soon on the IMO
web page as well as on the "Meteoroids 2007" web page. A transfer
from Bareges to Barelona will be organized by Francois Colas of
the LOC of the IMC (contact imc2007 at imo.net).

Hope to seeing many meteor enthusiasts at both the IMC 2007
and the "Meteoroids 2007".

Juergen Rendtel
IMO President