(meteorobs) Oh No!

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 13 22:23:57 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Godley" <wwgj180 at yahoo.com>

>I lost the Leonids to clouds here in Tulsa.  Now I
> have to travel to NW Ohio during the Geminid peak.  Is
> there any place in the US more likley to be cloudy in
> the winter?!

Based on the last dozen years or so, I'd nominate Oregon :-), especially if
you restrict it to a couple of nights around the Geminid peak. I don't think
it used to be this bad; I remember lots of crisp, clear winter nights during
my childhood. Really coming down in buckets tonight.

The last time I saw the Geminids in their full glory was 1993. I've gotten
in some marginal off-peak or moonlit viewing a few times since then. In
1998, I got unexpected clearing for the peak but was stuck in Portland.
Still a pretty good shower even in city lights. In 1999, I was in Tucson, AZ
but came down with the flu. I saw some nice Geminids out my window but had
to stop because it hurt to keep my eyes open.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR