(meteorobs) Ghostly Leonid

meteorsga at bellsouth.net meteorsga at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 18 13:17:22 EST 2006

If it was leaving the atmosphere after "skimming" the upper reaches, it would only have become a "point" during the final phase of its visible flight, and then only if it had appeard initially pretty much directly overhead.   The geometry of the flight and the observers azimuth would have to be just right.   That's what I experienced a couple years ago and undoubtely what Dave experienced, also.  I don't think meteors that are "exiting" the atmosphere could be termed true point meteors.  Gilligan would call them "Skippers."

   If I recall correcty the beginning post in this thread, the person may have simply seen a faint meteor that managed to have a rather long path-length.

Nebulous meteors can also appear quite "ghostly" but I don't think I've ever seen one associated with a shower -- anyone(?)

Kim Youmans.