(meteorobs) Miscellaneous questions

Karl Antier ka.antier at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 22 06:05:12 EST 2006

Hi all !

As the activity of the list might go down now, I just wondered about two or three things... If someone could help,
thank you very much in advance !

First, as Michel noticed for the Geminids, it also appears to me that Geminids were much brighter on the
postmaximum night (14/15-12-2006), than the peak night (13/14-12-2006), as I shortly observed them in South-eastern
France (Provence). Is it a specificity that has ever been noticed for that shower ?
Second, about the Ursid, I read in the IMO shower Calendar that there were one possible outburst of the 20s that
had disappeared. If my memory is good, it's the 1921 one. Why ? Are there any clues that show that it wasn't a
manifestation of that shower ? Or was it due to poor recordings of the observers that couldn't help to figure out
what really happened that year ?
And the last question deals about Field Of View (FOV). I read once that the dipper the layer of atmosphere is, th
most meteors we see. So that if there were no absorption, we would all observe with the center of the FOV closer to
the horizon.
Now, imagine the transparency of the sky is excellent, wouldn't it be preferable to watch closer from the horizon
to catch more meteors ? In that case, should corrections be applied to calculate ZHR later ?

Clear skies to all for the Ursids !
Karl