(meteorobs) Ursids

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 04:53:59 EST 2006

Hi folks,

Yesterday evening, I was able to watch the Ursids for 4 hours between 17.10 (still in nautical evening twilight) -21.10 UT. Conditions were not good, but at least it stayed a couple hours clear beneath the inversion cloud layer. After 21UT it became cloudy again. Yes; indeed there was some Ursid activity. In the first hour; only 3 members were seen, but during the second hour; the activity increased during a half hour with some brighter shower members (up to a beautiful mag +0 with persistent trail). After that, the activity decreased to 3-4 shower members/ hour and they weren't so bright anymore. Was this a sign of the ' Ursid filament' as mentioned from Peter Jenniskens in his new book or was this just a coincidence? I

The session was short, but Ursid observations a  pretty unique for observers in the Low Countries. So I am glad that I saw this shower once again! (last episode: Ursids 2000)

Full meteor report will follow,

Long trains,

Michel.
Belgium