(meteorobs) December Meteors in South Carolina

Mark Davis meteors at comcast.net
Sat Dec 23 08:53:34 EST 2006

I was only able to schedule a couple hours of observing this week due to my
work schedule, and with rain forecast for late in the week, I observed on
the 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21. The Coma Berenicids were nearly nonexistent with
only 8 observed which averaged out to a little better than 1/hour. No
Monocerotids or Hydrids were seen. Worse, I recorded no Ursids. Sporadics
were pretty active, with up to 10/hour being recorded. As predicted, rain
arrived late on the 21st, and is to be with us through Christmas. So another
year goes by with me missing the Ursid peak! The Ursids and the Quads in
January are the two showers that have jinxed me all these years. I can't
seem to catch either one with clear skies at maximum.

I have quite a few reports to publish as I haven't done any all week. Those
should get done today before I concentrate on the holiday. I wish everyone
here a safe and happy holiday season!

Merry Christmas!!

Mark