Fw: (meteorobs) Bright Fireball over Alberta Dec. 18

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Dec 24 19:48:30 EST 2006

>>Polaris in our
skies is about 53 degrees altitude at that  location so my initial
altitude should be 55 degrees.  Another  observation to confirm this
suspicion was Cassiopeia was visible to the  west in a break in the
overcast skies and it's lowest altitude seemed  similar to the
termination point of the meteor.  At that time of  night, that makes the
lower altitude for the meteor as 40  degrees.<<
I have no doubt it was a meteor...too fast for a satellite of any kind.  From
your estimated begin and end degrees above the horizon, my impression is
that the meteor became visible at about 60 miles away and ended maybe something
like 100 miles from our observer. These are probably not accurate figures, but
 should still give a rough ball park hint as to how far they probably were.
GeoZay