(meteorobs) Observation December 13/14 2006 (long report and pictures)

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 27 05:49:41 EST 2006

Pierre Martin wrote:

> I was determined to not miss this year's Geminids. ...
> I didn't expect this to turn into a 1800km (1100 miles) expedition
> into central Tennessee but here goes...

   Fantastic report, Pierre! I'm delighted to hear your extraordinary efforts
were so richly rewarded. Nice pix, too.

> The rates were steady every hour but reached a crescendo
> late at night.  Between 2:30am and 4:30am, the Geminids exceeded 100
> meteors per hour even though the rising crescent moon had caused a
> slight drop in my overall LM, and the Geminids radiant was lower in
> the western sky.

   I noticed the same thing in Alberta; with the Moon rising and the radiant
dropping I anticipated rates to flatten out but I had my best hour at the end
of the night.

> I also noticed four very swift, faint, short meteors from the apex area near
Leo.

   Would these have been Coma Berenicids? I don't see any mention of them in
your summary.

   Bruce
   *****