(meteorobs) Re: late Geminid?

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Fri Dec 29 14:44:32 EST 2006

Richard and All,

The Geminid swarm is fairly narrow and the Earth passes through the debris
field for only ten days. Therefore the fireball you witnessed could not be a
member of the Geminid shower. Even if the Geminids were still active the
radiant would have moved into Cancer so any meteor from the area of Castor
would not be a Geminid.

More likely, your fireball was a member of the antihelion radiant, which is
currently centered in central Gemini. Unlike the Geminids, this shower has a
wide radiant stretching fifteen degrees in right ascension and ten degrees
in declination. The velocity is only slightly less than the Geminids so
these meteors could appear similar.

I hope this helps!

Robert Lunsford