(meteorobs) Daylight (almost) fireball today in Maryland

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Wed Feb 8 11:42:18 EST 2006

At 02:17 PM 2/7/2006, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>While driving to work this morning I saw a bright greenish-white
>meteor in the south about 5 minutes before sunrise.  It was
>basically daylight, and it was neat to see a meteor in a sky that bright.

Brings to mind a truly beautiful fireball I saw during the 2001
Leonids a little before sunrise. We had been watching the terminator
climb out of the horizon towards the zenith. An extremely bright,
green fireball started on the dark side of the terminator, about
halfway between the radiant and the eastern horizon and dropped
straight down towards the horizon. As it crossed to the daylight side
of the terminator and travelled into sunrise which was well developed
in the east, it exhibited no perceptible reduction in brilliance. I
wasn't observing for record, so I didn't attempt to estimate the
magnitude, but I would say it was at least as bright as a full moon.
It was one of the last meteors from that storm that we we saw that
year and it was a truly spectacular ending note.

Richard