(meteorobs) Fireball Photo???

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Sat Feb 25 06:08:12 EST 2006

Please visit the website below and let me know what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/sdbound182/DSCN1905.jpg

The photographer claims his intended target was the small aircraft.
He claims this object lasted 1-2 seconds and occurred near noon
local time. He also states the object appeared toward the northeast.
If this is so then a lens artifact from the sun is not possible being that
the sun was at his back. You can verify this by noticing the shadow
of the wing upon the fuselage of the aircraft.

To me, this appears to be a crude add-on to this photograph. It is
quite "un-meteor like". I wonder though how he got it to appear as
if the streak was behind the clouds during the first portion of it's
re-entry?

One more thought...this location was fairly close to Vandenberg,
but I could not find any scheduled launches for the afternoon of
February 18. Besides, he claims the object was going down, not
upward.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob Lunsford