(meteorobs) Fireball Photo???

Emily McGowan emmcg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 25 08:56:00 EST 2006

Hello,

My name is Kevin McGowan. I'm a professional photographer.  I've been
working in digital photography for a number of years.  What strikes me about
this photo is the pixelation/resolution of the "fireball".  It is very
coarse, compared to the resolution of the plane.  The resolution should
match if it was shot at the same time.

I'd say it was a very crude added effect.

I once saw a meteor going over upstate NY in the 70s.  It was a bright green
and barely lasted a second.  It was a very clear day.   I was young and
thought someone's model airplane had caught fire. LOL

I have a question about the fireball photo.  It looked like it was under the
clouds and they looked low and too thick to let much light through. Wouldn't
that mean that it was at an angle to possibly hit the earth?
If we did get hit, wouldn't we know?

Kevin McGowan

Bob et al.,

Actually it is pretty easy to get an "add on" to look like this. You paste
the entire streak of light in a new layer in the photograph and then with
the mouse or a stylus tool on a digital tablet erase the streak of light in
places allowing the underlying layer to show through. The result can make
the underlying layer appear to be in front of the "add on". The digital
tools are pretty versatile and can partially erase pixels so that there are
no sharp edges. Photography, even negatives (they can be made from a digital
file) is less and less reliable as conclusive evidence these days.

Clear skies,

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston