(meteorobs) Fireball Photo???

Dave Radomski - KTØH kt0h at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 10:12:34 EST 2006

What do we know of the photo?

DIMENSION: 640x480 ( A rather strange dimension for such a "keeper" photo unless it was resized in "post.")
RESOLUTION: 300DPI (Probably manipulated in "post.")
CAMERA: Nikon E7900 - Nice unit, point and shot type camera
                http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25527
                http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/
LENS: Zoom lens @ 51.4mm when photo was taken
F-STOP: f/8.2
EXPOSURE: 1/690 sec
TIME: 2006-02-19 13;36:31 (Unknown Time Zone & if time feature was accurately set - ?PST?)

Comments:

1) This camera has a max ISO of 400. Given the cloud cover, exposure and f-Stop... max ISO was probably used.

2) Aircraft propeller (3 bladed) is frozen/stopped, consistent with "1" above.

3) The streak would have had to have been very persistent and bright to leave such a long image/trail in such a short instant in time.

Bottomline... Does not appear to be a lens flare or sunlight reflection owing to the cloud cover. Unknown what this might be if not a faked image.