(meteorobs) Fireball Photo???

Ken bicycle4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 18:50:46 EST 2006

I used a recent version of Nikon Picture Project (v. 5.x), just enough to learn that I didn't want to keep it. It can be used to download images from the camera, catalog images and correct exposure problems. I don't think it could be used to add the streak. This is not to say that the image has not been through another program to add the streak, although at least some other programs destroy the EXIF data when the image is saved. The shutter speed is fast enough that all but extremely fast motion would be frozen. I'm favoring reflection in a window in front of the camera, which would also explain the lack of focus of the streak.

  Clear skies, Ken

skywise <skywise at dslextreme.com> wrote:
  Dave Radomski - KTØH wrote:

> What do we know of the photo?

Examining the EXIF info, it appears the picture was taken on Feb 19.
But a software called "PictureProject" was used to resave the image
on Feb 23. This appears to be a program that comes with Nikon cameras
for downloading and editing. No telling what may have been done to
the image.

I don't know how one can comapre the plane and the unknown by
'pixelation' aroudn the two, as the whole image is screwed up at the
pixel level due to the lossy JPEG compression.

But to me it does not look like lens flare or an added effect. It
looks like a reflection of an object in the window the photographer
was shooting through. It doesn't look like any sort of meteor or
rentering object.

As reference, look at this wikipedia article, which has an image of
the re-entry trails of 8 MIRV warheads in a test. The trails pass
through clouds and are tracked to impact on the ocean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRV

In reality, we need much more information to do a proper analysis.
Information that is probably not forthcoming as it would ruin the
story. :)

Brian

PS - Here's the full EXIF info in the image:

Filename : DSCN1905.jpg
JFIF_APP1 : Exif
JFIF_APP2 : ICC Profile (offset:19610 size:8643bytes)
JFIF_APPx : Unknown:FFEA
JFIF_APPx : Unknown:FFEA
JFIF_APPx : Unknown:FFEA
Main Information
ImageDescription :
Make : NIKON
Model : E7900
Orientation : left-hand side
XResolution : 300/1
YResolution : 300/1
ResolutionUnit : Inch
Software : PictureProject 1.1.0 W
DateTime : 2006:02:23 14:33:21
YCbCrPositioning : centered
ExifInfoOffset : 230
Sub Information
ExposureTime : 1/690.0Sec
FNumber : F8.2
ExposureProgram : Program Normal
ISOSpeedRatings : 50
ExifVersion : 0220
DateTimeOriginal : 2006:02:19 13:36:31
DateTimeDigitized : 2006:02:19 13:36:31
ComponentConfiguration : YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
MeteringMode : Spot
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
FocalLength : 51.40(mm)
MakerNote : Nikon D100 Format : 9212Bytes (Offset:724)
UserComment :

FlashPixVersion : 0100
ColorSpace : sRGB
ExifImageWidth : 640
ExifImageHeight : 480
FileSource : DSC
SceneType : A directly photographed image
Vendor Original Information
Data Version : 30313230
ISO Setting : ---
Color Mode : COLOR