(meteorobs) Lunar Impact

Kenneth Drake kdrako at consolidated.net
Sun Jan 1 18:17:42 EST 2006

Are there any meteor streams that may have crossed the Moons path New Years Eve?

I've made a hobby for myself of observing very young and very old thin crescent
moons for about 15 years. This last month of the year has blessed us with two
skinny moons - "Black Moon December" - to quote a friend. Yesterday evening I
acquired the last thin moon of the year, a 20 hour 33 minute old crescent in
10x70 binos. The elongation from the Sun was 12 degrees 9 minutes at the time of
acquisition - 17:45cst (23:45UT). I estimated the arc of illumination at
slightly over 90 degrees with the Moon 4 degrees (software generated -
refraction on) above the apparent horizon. It ran from 2:45 to 6:30
approximately. The Moon had just entered the first of 4 layers of atmospheric
haze and I planned to see how long it would remain visible, wanting to see it
set. At no time was I able to see the Moon without optical aid. I was checking
things, watching intently as the thicker atmosphere ate more of the arc away.

This observation may have no value whatsoever but I'm making it anyway. While
observing this 20 hour old thin crescent moon, I saw a bright, short, point
flash which appeared to last only 1/10 to 1/2 second. Sorry about the wide
estimate but I wanted to put some limits on it if anyone cared. I would say it
was 2-3 magnitudes brighter than the brightest portion of the arc. Again a broad
estimate. I was not prepared for this! I did have the sense to mark the time -
23:57:45UT. The Moon was less that 2 degree up and was getting weak in the
thickening haze. I made a note of the location of the flash relative to the arc.
This morning I used software to determine the flash was in Mare Tranquillitatis
most likely near the crater Ross or Plinius. Once again this is a broad estimate
since I could not see any lunar features. I lost sight of the arc as it faded
away in the muck at 00:02UT still 1.3 degrees up. A great way to finish the
year. But wait, I still had a dinner party, birthday party and New Years Eve
party to attend.

Happy New Year to all.

Kenneth Drake