(meteorobs) Theory of large meteorite impact in Finnish Lapland is false - Ursa

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jan 2 09:11:20 EST 2006

Do any URSA members have anything to add to the following Newsroom
Finland reports?

Most recent report first...

*****

http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=11290

2.1.2006 at 11:03

The suspected meteorite crater in the Mantokoski river in Utsjoki in
Finnish Lapland could not have been caused by a meteorite, said Jarmo
Moilanen, a representative of the Finnish astronomical association
(Ursa) in a statement Saturday.

*****

http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=11281

30.12.2005 at 16:10

A large explosion crater found in the Mantokoski river in Utsjoki,
northern Finland, may be caused by a meteorite, said Juhani Harjunharja,
chair of the Ursa astronomical association, in a statement Friday.

The crater has an estimated diameter of as much as 300 meters. Samples
are being sent to the University of Oulu for examination. The
possibility of the crater being caused by the remnant of a satellite has
not been ruled out.

"For my part I am strongly leaning towards the opinion that it is a
meteorite", Mr Harjunharja said.

The impact zone is approximately one kilometre from the closest settled
area. It is estimated that the impact occurred before Christmas.

--
David Entwistle