(meteorobs) Quads and Questions

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Fri Jan 6 16:24:43 EST 2006

>>I wonder what our peers out there do to keep on the ball?

>Calisthenics at 4:00 AM in the midst of a meteor session is NOT my idea
>of staying alert but *is* employed by certain Slovenians who
>generally have great success with rates. I'll turn off the radio
>and let the forest sounds (and my imagination) return me to
>reality -- I'm basically just unarmed bear-bait...

Indeed! Push-ups are a great way to get your blood circulating when you hit a
dead period and we've had great success in keeping more alert this way. You can
actually stay inside the sleeping bag with only your arms outside - much better
than leaving the warmth of the bag and go wander around a bit. (during the last
camp 30 observers and casual watchers participated in a collective push-up
session, great fun! :) I never listen to radio during observation, I think it
would actually *help* me wander off instead of keeping me alert.

And yes, Kim, being unarmed bear-bait helps a lot, too :) It would be
interesting to hear stories of wildlife encounters from observers on the list!
Javor has certainly had more than his fair share - wild boars, bears, ... The
worst I've encountered was *probably* a bear, some 15 to 20 meters away. That
event kept me well alert during many meteor observations later, especially those
in prime bear areas :D

CS!Jure