(meteorobs) What atmospheric phenomenon is this?

Alister aling at telus.net
Sat Jan 7 17:38:40 EST 2006

Hi!

One possibility is that it is a nacreous cloud that barely formed then
shredded itself in turbulence. Unless I'm mistaken Norway is a good place
for nacreous clouds. Although I've never heard of nacreous clouds being
turbulent, it doesn't seem like it is out of the question - after all,
mountain waves can propagate quite high and break - perhaps this is one of
those times.

Another possibility I will offer up is one of those mini-comets that was
postulated a decade ago, but there seemed contradictory evidence as to their
reality and the idea was mostly refuted.

It does seem strange that these were not seen with the unaided eye - at face
value, they look no fainter than a faint noctilucent cloud display.

Well the wonder of a digital camera is that you should feel free to let the
camera take a long series at 5 second intervals to see if you can catch
more, nothing lost other than some wear on the shutter.

Good observing,
Alister.