(meteorobs) Car radio

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Jan 7 18:03:20 EST 2006

Truman wrote:

> --On Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:38 AM -0700 Bruce McCurdy
> <bmccurdy at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> >     I do listen to the radio, but not in the conventional manner. Rather
> > than choose the night's playlist for myself, I let the Universe decide,
> > via the forward scatter technique through my car radio.

> Meteor observers,
>      This is dangerous.  One night/morning, after a long observing session
> with my car radio on, the car wouldn't start.  I had to have the battery
> jumped.

   Yes, that's a good point. I was trying to be brief, but if I'm observing
alone (or with no other vehicles around), I will get up and turn the engine
over every 60 or 90 minutes and let it run for a couple of minutes. This also
serves to wake *me* up.

   At the observing site with other vehicles present, it's less of a concern,
but in the event I'm the last one out (which with meteors happens often) I
make sure I start my vehicle before all the others leave.

   Bruce
   *****