(meteorobs) Radio accompaniment (was Re: Quads and Questions)

Lew Gramer Lew.Gramer at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 9 11:42:03 EST 2006

On Saturday 07 January 2006 12:10, Bruce McCurdy wrote:
>     I do listen to the radio, but not in the conventional manner. Rather
> than choose the night's playlist for myself, I let the Universe decide, via
> the forward scatter technique through my car radio.This observing buddy
> serves as an extra "ear" on the sky, gives a second opinion on the general
> level of activity, reminds me there are meteors happening even when I
> happen to miss them, helps keep me alert, verifies the occasional
> observation of a faint meteor through a simultaneous burst, occasionally
> allows me to catch the fade of a persistent train through a rapid all-sky
> search after a loud burst, and pleasingly often provides an audible, often
> musical, accompaniment to a nice meteor seen directly. I have learned to
> tune out the unpleasant aspects of static, having made the connection in
> my mind's ear to a clear sky crackling with potential.

Bruce, I found this a really neat suggestion, especially for solo observing!
Now I believe you've done some radiometeor work with various non- and
semi-directional antennae in the past. But is this "car radio accompaniment"
using one of these special antennae, or just the car's normal antenna?

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer