(meteorobs) Radio accompaniment

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 10 02:29:45 EST 2006

    Lew wrote:

> Bruce, I found this a really neat suggestion, especially for solo
> observing!
> Now I believe you've done some radiometeor work with various non- and
> semi-directional antennae in the past. But is this "car radio
> accompaniment"
> using one of these special antennae, or just the car's normal antenna?

    Just the car's normal antenna. It seems the omnidirectional antenna
works about as well as the semi-directional Yagi I have on my home detector.
I don't have any foolproof method of counting "hits" on the car radio at a
dark site and no SkyPipe files to compare, however I have spent a fair bit
of time listening in at home, and the rates of "loud meteors" are certainly
comparable. The home detector might be more sensitive to faint bursts which
are hard to hear through a car window, especially in a group when folks are
chatting (or hollering about a meteor seen at that exact moment, although
usually the humans are a split second late). What I can say with some degree
of confidence is that (in my location) car radio rates consistently exceed
visual rates by a factor of three or so, more if observing conditions are
compromised.

     There is certainly room for improvement in my technique though. It
should be relatively simple to count both radio and visual and record both
in my standard 10-minute bins, which I will try to do more assiduously in
future. A further refinement would be to isolate those meteors seen and
heard simultaneously. For a single observer I would guesstimate this occurs
for a third of visual meteors, and a significantly smaller fraction of radio
meteors since they are more plentiful. A group of observers will
collectively have a higher percentage of matches, which only stands to
reason.

    For solo observing I really like the radio accompaniment as you put it,
or in my words, my "observing buddy". It is easy to visualize a meteor from
a good radio burst, and it can be quite a thrill when one sees and hears a
nice one at the same instant. However, the point was made here and is well
taken, that one must be careful straining a car battery at a remote
location, especially if alone.

    Bruce
    *****