(meteorobs) Re: Radio accompaniment

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 12:32:50 EST 2006

> This comment about the drain by a car radio is quite correct.
> However, it is an unfortunate fact that many, if not most, "modern"
> cars do not provide an accessory position for the ignition switch.

Agree wholeheartedly about the radio.  Then you get beeps if you open
the door, while still listening to the radio, but the key is still in
the ignition, because you want to continue listening.  Grrrh.  If it
ain't broke...  Why not provide manual override?  This "we know best"
philosophy is why I hate using Microsoft.

More annoying in my 2002 car is that there's no off switch for the
interior white light.  That's a pain for observing on the Downs,
especially if it affects other astronomers.  There always used to be
three positions: off, on, and come on/go off when the door is
opened/closed.

The check list when buying the next car grows, by which time there'll
be other novel features/horrors that will catch me out.

Malcolm Currie