(meteorobs) overhead (car) light

Gregg Lobdell gmlobdell at seanet.com
Sun Jan 15 04:30:50 EST 2006

I have several solutions to the overhead car light problem:

1)  PULL THE FUSE!
Figure out which fuse in the car includes the overhead lights, and
pull it out for the duration of your observing session.  Every car
I've tried this on will still run fine.  You may have to reset the
radio stations on your fancy car stereo after you put the fuse back
in, but that's better than annoying your observing neighbors, or
having a flat battery.  This is also useful on car camping trips.

2)  Replace your overhead light with a red LED bulb
LED bulbs are the wave of the future, and are available in many
standard bulb bases and colors, usually including red.  And they use
a fraction of the power of regular bulbs.  I googled "led bulb car
auto red" and came up with http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/
store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR  I have no affiliation with, or
interest in this company, and cannot vouch for their customer
service.  They just seemed to have a wide selection.

3)  Buy a GMC Envoy
I recently went on vacation to Hawaii, and happened to rent this
particular model.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the
overhead light did not come on unless requested.  This came in very
handy when we visited the Mauna Kea Visitor's Center and did some
observing from there, and from another location.  Maybe it was a
special setting, but as long as I didn't lock the car, the lights
stayed off, even with the doors open.  A very cool feature, at least
to me.

Clear skies,

Gregg Lobdell