(meteorobs) OT - Query

josephasmus at cox.net josephasmus at cox.net
Tue Jan 17 11:53:46 EST 2006

Greetings from Southern California,

Last night those of us in this part of globe were treated to a beautiful and bright passover of the I.S.S.  It occured between 18:34 and 18:38 PST (GMT-8:00).  The skies were nice and particularly dark for suburban San Diego as it had just rained a few days ago.

It happened just as the http://www.heavens-above.com predicted.  The predicted magnitude was 0.1.  It was certainly as bright if not the brightest object in the high night sky. Mars shone nearby at magnitude -0.1.  I took my 2 boys out and we "oooo'ed and awed" as the brilliant I.S.S. streaked across the sky for nearly a full four minutes.

My question:

I was hoping to tap into some of the observing experience of listmembers.  With my pair of recently acquired Celestron Skymaster 20x80's, would I have been able to resolve any of the station's structure?

Thank you in advance for any help on this question.

Cheers,

Joseph Assmus
San Diego