(meteorobs) OT - Query

josephasmus at cox.net josephasmus at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 17:09:40 EST 2006

To Kim, Doug, Bob and others of you who responded...

I suppose my original question can be truly called "an empirical question".  Just perform the experiment (attempt viewing the ISS with 20x80s) and see what the results are.  I was thinking I might get some responses such as "No way", "Forget it", "Not worth the effort" and so forth. On the contrary, there were several positive and helpful posts.  Regarding tripods... indeed these Celestron Skymasters are a bit weighty... at nearly 6 lbs. one definately needs a tripod to steady any astro-image.
I did also purchase a heavy duty standard 'video' tripod that was nearly as much as the binoculars, and I am having great fun with my new set-up! :-) No telescopic meteorobs yet.. but we'll see.

I can't wait till tomorrow.  The ISS is making a whopping 5min 44sec pass over San Diego and is predicted to reach a mag of -0.6.

(just as an aside... I bought these off binoculars.com for $208 plus shipping.  At my local dealer, Scope City, the very same binocs are being sold for well over $350.) Quite a difference in price.

Thanks for your guy's replies and advice and Happy Binoc Viewing.

Joseph
San Diego, CA