(meteorobs)

Tony Beresford dberesford at adam.com.au
Sat Jan 21 23:08:57 EST 2006

At 10:10 22/01/06, you wrote:
>Hi
>How do you spot meteors using a radio ?
>What frequency do you use?
>How do you know when you have heard one?
>All I hear is the normal of frequency  static
>Regards Ian

A broad introduction to meteor scatter , and forward scatter can be found at
http://www.imo.net/radio

Any frequency in range 30-100Khz will do.
Have to find a suitable transmitter thats at least 600Km away,
sufficiently powerful, and at a frequency that not used in your location.
This limits most to FM band radio stations.
Your hear a short burst of the transmitted program.
You have to be tuned to a station you know is transmitting.
To maximize chances listen around dawn when sporadic meteors are
most frequent.
Tony Beresford