(meteorobs) Anyone predicting ZHR (Leo) > 150 for 2006?

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 12:03:47 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/3/06 11:23:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de writes:

<< An Italian travel agency (with which I had been to the last solar eclipse
in Libya)
 has informed me about their plans for a Leonids trip to the Atlas mountains
in
 Moroc this November - the first commercial offer I've seen. While the
longitude and
 latitude (and the cloud statistics, too) may put NW Africa into the best
location
 for an outburst just before dawn, I'm wondering whether the ZHR to be
expected is
 worth the effort: All I've heard is a peak of 150 at best. >>

I have just finished an article for S&T's November issue concerning this
year's Leonids.  I've exchanged E-mails with Esko, David and Jeremie and our
consensus is that a ZHR of around 100 can be expected at or near 4:45 UT on
November 19.  The majority of these meteors should be relatively faint.

-- joe rao